Thursday 7 May 2015

Review

Overview
For this project I had to create a sidekick companion for the game second life to do this I did some research of existing companions and decided that I wanted to do a robot or a mech so I collected images of both things into a mood board I then drew up some brainstorms of what features I wanted my companion to have and from this I decided it would be better to do a mech from this I drew up some designs for a mech and went into modeler and made it and then set it up in layout and created some renders of it overall I think my mech was quite good however there are some improvements that I could make

One of the best parts about my mech in my opinion is my minigun I spent quite a lot of time making this and deciding on what material to surface it with it was quite difficult to do and there was a lot of polygons to cut down on after it was done however the final result of it was quite good and I'm quite impressed by it

I also think that my choice of materials to surface the mech with was quite strong as it all blends together quite well and works together all of it except from the drill this was a little bit too shiny compared to the rest of the mech and didn't really blend amazingly with it and I should of dulled it down before finalizing my mech however it does still sort of work with the mech however the drill doesn't really look like a drill as it doesn't have the spiral around it like a drill would and looks too smooth to be a drill


 I also feel like my mech looks a little bit too square although this was how he was drawn on the original design it doesn't really look very good on the finished mech I feel like it needs a bit more complexity and less boxes


I also feel like the rocket pod needs a lot of improvement at the moment it looks tacky and terrible and I really don't like it but I couldn't think of a better way of doing it and therefore I had to use the one that the mech has on it looking back at it I could of took inspiration from rumble from league of legends and put 3 missiles in a holder on his shoulder
The window on the front of the mech was okay I could of done it better I feel however with the surfacing it works for it's purpose and looks the part and it's not exactly ugly and the glass gives it a nice effect
The shoulder pads also add quite a nice effect to it and remove a little bit of the square problem that  I mentioned earlier however I should of made the whole shoulder joint a ball and I feel like this would of made it look a little better

Overall I feel that my companion fulfills the project and lives up to my design however it is quite lacking in it's looks and could be improved upon quite a lot such as the improvements to certain parts that I have mentioned as well as generally reducing the amount of polygons within the mech that can't be seen to improve performance as well as properly connecting a lot of the parts together as currently not everything is properly connected

No comments:

Post a Comment